Almond Cherry Fennel Granola
Crunchy, salty, sweet. Whether you pair it with yogurt, a smoothie, or eat it straight out of the jar, homemade granola is always a great staple to have. The savory flavors of the olive oil and fennel are balanced out by the sweetness of the dried cherries and coconut sugar. If that's not enough, the puffed amaranth lends for an even more crunchy texture. Enjoy!
2 ¾ cups gluten free oats
1 ¼ cup almonds
½ pumpkin seed
¾ cup dried cherry (I prefer tart cherry)
1 tbs puffed amaranth
¼ cup coconut sugar
3 tbs maple syrup
¼ cup olive oil
1-1½ tsp fennel (preferably lightly toasted)
1 tsp Celtic sea salt
1. Preheat oven to 300 degrees F
2. In a large bowl, mix together the oats, almonds, pumpkin seeds, amaranth, fennel, and salt.
3. Using a double boiler or small sauce pan set over low heat, warm the maple syrup, olive oil, and coconut sugar until the sugar has dissolved
4. Pour the warm mixture over the dry ingredients and toss to evenly coat
5. Spread the granola on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and bake until golden brown for around 40 minutes, stirring occasionally to make sure it bakes evenly
6. Once you remove the granola from the oven, add the tart cherries and toss until combined
7. Allow to cool, store, and enjoy
Note: If you don’t have or don’t want to use fennel, you can simply omit.